Worldwide research is drastic in the field of Biotechnology and Bio engineering. To cater to the global requirement of trained manpower, university has introduced Biotechnology course in Engineering with a view to blend the Biosciences and technology for better yield and results.
Keeping this vision, the management has introduced this course during the academic year 2002-03. The Department is emphasizing on imparting knowledge in various fields like chemical engineering including unit operations, Momentum transfer and Bioprocess engineering, Molecular biology, Genetic engineering, Microbiology, Bioinformatics, Genomics and Proteomics, Upstream processing and Downstream processing technology, Nanotechnology , Drug design , Immunology etc.
Highly qualified, experienced and dedicated staff members are being involved in teaching the students with in depth technical knowledge. Well-equipped and sophisticated laboratories are the center of attraction in the department. The lab provides a basic foundation for the project work. Another major strength of the department is its extensive collection of Technical Books, Periodicals and Journals that helps the staff and students to acquire their knowledge with latest technology developments. Eminent scientists and experts are invited from various industries to interact with our students, contributing an insight into practical application areas.
The post graduate Programme M.Tech (Bioinformatics) has been introduced during the academic year 2011-12.
Department is recognized as research center by VTU from 2008. Two students have obtained M.Sc Engg. by Research degree from our research center.
It is our privilege to mention that three of our M.Tech students have secured first rank with gold medal and second Rank respectively in the University Examinations of VTU 2014, 3rd Rank in 2015.
GENELIX the forum of Biotechnology department is actively involved in organizing seminar by eminent scientists and researchers, Technical quiz, Debate, Model exhibitions, Poster presentation, Seminars, Group discussions etc, which help the students in developing their personality and perform well in campus interviews and getting the lucarative placements.
To be a Centre of excellence with a blend of life science and Technology to create professionally competent and socially responsible Biotechnology Engineers.
1. To provide quality education by creating excellent academic ambience.
2. To train and develop graduates in the field of Biotechnology by research, to meet the increasing demand in State and globally.
3. Inculcate professional skills and ethics to produce responsible Biotechnology graduates.
To make students
1. Graduates will possess necessary knowledge in the emerging areas of Biotechnology
2. Graduates are capable of working in the field of health, safety and environment considering the social implications.
3. Graduates have adequate skills to pursue higher education and research in relevant areas to enhance professionalism.
1. Graduates will be capable of applying fundamental principles of Biotechnology to maintain the sustainability in the environment.
2. Learn the applicability of Biological Engineering techniques through employability and entrepreneur to meet global competitiveness.
3. Demonstrate the research activities to solve a wide array of societal problems.
Several activities are conducted under the banner of Genelix Click here to view
Dr. Gurumurthy H
Professor & Head
Department of Bio-Technology,
GM Institute of Technology,
PB Road, Davangere
Ph.No.08192233345,233377,252777 Ext 110